Monday, April 23, 2012

2. EXPRESSION OF CONGRATULATION, COMPLIMENT, AND GRATITUDE.

·     CONGRATULATION
Congratulation is an expression that we use to give the congratulation utterance when he or she succeeds in doing something.




Congratulating
Responding
o   I’d be the first to congratulate you on...
o   I’d like to congratulate you on …
o   Please accept my warmest congratulations.
o   May I congratulate you on …
o   I must congratulate you.
o   It was great to hear about …
o   Congratulations.
o   Congratulations on …
o   Well done
o   Nice done, congratulations!
o   Good.
o   Fantastic!
o    It’s very good of you to say so.
o    How nice of you to say so.
o    Thank you very much for saying so.
o    I’m glad you think so.
o    Oh, it’s nothing special actually.
o    Oh, I have a lot to learn yet.
o    Thank you.
o    Oh, not really.
o    Oh, nothing to it, actually.
o    Oh, thanks.



Example of dialog congratulating :
Danu : Rizal, how is your library so far?
Rizal : It’s great! Many people come to my library.
Danu : congratulations! Your library is the  most popular   one now.
Rizal : Thank you, Danu.




·     COMPLIMENT
Compliment is an expression that we show or say to express or give praise. Some people use compliments to “butter up” somebody or to flatter in order to increase good will, for example:
   Ø  on his/her general appearance.
   Ø  if you notice something new about the person’s appearance.
   Ø  when you visit someone’s house for the first time.
   Ø  when other people do their best.



Complimenting someone
Responding
o   I would like compliment you on …
o   I think your ……. is very nice.
o   I just love your …...
o   The …… is very delicious.
o   I really like your …….
o   You look fabulous!
o   Fantastic!/Marvelous!
o   That’s nice.
o   That’s not bad.
o   Perfect!
o   Pretty good.
o   Thank you. It’s nice of you to say so.
o   Thank you but really isn’t anything special.
o   Thank you. Yours is even nicer.
o   I’m glad you like it.
o   Thank you.
o   Thank you so much.
o   Yeah, thanks.

Example of dialog complimenting :
Sarah     : Jasmine, This is dress for you. I made it   by  myself .
Jasmine  : That’s a beautiful dress! You are really a talented tailor.
Sarah     : I’m glad you like it.



·     GRATITUDE
Gratitude is an expression that we show or say to express grateful feeling to other people. When speaking English, you say “thanks” very often. Please say “thank you” when people give you something, help you do something, wish you something and give you a compliment, etc.



Expressing gratitude
Responding
o   I’m so grateful for ……
o   Thank you for ……
o   Thanks a lot.
o   Thanks a million.
o   Thanks./Many thanks.
o   Thank you very much for …..
o   Thank you for your help.
o   I’m really very grateful to you.
o   Thank you so much.
o   You’re welcome
o   Don’t mention it
o   My pleasure
o   I’m glad that I can help you.
o   It’s all right.
o   That’s what friends are.
o   It was my pleasure.
o   Yaps, never mind.

Example of dialog expressing gratitude:
John           : Can you help me to take that book?
Michael       : Yes, of course. This is, John.
John           : Thank you so much for your helping.
Michael       : You’re welcome.

22 comments:

  1. I have a question, can we really classify use good/well done/fantastic in congratulating someone? Don't they normally used as complimen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. emm,i'm sorry, i got some references from the book and there is a book that write those words (good/well done/fantastic) in congratulating someone, but i think again it is right if you add "congratulations" behind those, so it will be classify in congratulating someone,thanks so much for your question :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry, can I correct your grammar?
      1. there is a book that writes (not write).
      2. so it will be classified (not classify.. that's passive voice).. thanks

      Delete
  2. thanks for the article.. this is very useful for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is great...I hope you don't mind I use the notes for my class. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halo.. Copy boleh ya?.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete