Monday, April 23, 2012

12. MODALS IN THE PAST FORM


The other class of auxiliaries is made up of the ones in the illustration. They function only as auxiliaries and do not change grammatical form in the way verbs do. These are called modal auxiliaries. Some of them do function as the past tense form of some of the others.  Modal verb is a verb that used to explain a main verb. In the other word, modal verb gives the new meaning at main verb.

                         Modals in the past form 
   
Modals in the Present
Modals In the Past
Can
Could
Will
Would
Shall
Should
May
Might

1. Could + Verb base
  • To express ability to do something
Example : I could speak English.
  • To express ability, subject to certain conditions which probably do not exist.
Examples : I could go now, if I wanted to (I don’t want to)
                 When I was sixteen, I could dance all night (if circumstances permitted)
  • To express polite question
Example : Could I go to the cinema, please?
  • To express polite request
Examples : Could you wait a moment, please?
                  Could I borrow your pen, please?
                  Could you please close the window?
  • To express polite offer
Example : I could lend you my car till tomorrow.
  • To express polite suggestion
Example : Could we visit Grandma at the weekend?
  • To express possibility
Example: It could get very hot in Montana.

2. Would + Verb base
  • To express wish, request (more polite than will)
Examples : Would you shut the door, please?
                  Would you please pass the helmet, Mia?
  • To express habits in the past
Examples : Sometimes he would bring me some foods.
                  When I was young, my mother would tell me some stories.
  • Insert rather into the pattern and use this expression to express preferences
Examples : I would rather go to the party than stay at home.
                  I would rather visit Somalia than Italia.

3. Should + Verb base
  • To give definite advice (advisability)
Examples : You should drive carefully in bad weather.
                  You should paint your door, Adit it looks terrible.
  • To express the subject’s obligation or duty
Examples : You should turn off the AC when you leave the room.
                  You should practice for more than an hour.
                  They shouldn’t allow parking here, the street is too narrow.

4. Might + Verb base
  • To tell possibilities
Examples : It might rain today.
                  I might accompany you, but it doesn’t appear very likely.
                  She might be in the studio with Hana.
  • To express polite request
Example : Might I borrow your jacket?
  • To express hesitant offer
Example : might I help you?

No comments:

Post a Comment