Monday, April 23, 2012

9. DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH


v Direct Speech : Refers to reproducing another person exact words. We use quotation marks (“ “)

Examples :
~ Jani said, “I’m very busy.”
~ They said, “We have bought a picture.”
~ He said, “I am learning my lesson.”
~ Lisa says, “I got the first prize.”
~ You said, “I will come to help him.”
~ Oscar will say, “I will do my best.”

v Indirect Speech : Refers to reproducing the idea of another persons word. Not all of the exact are used :
Verb forms and Pronouns

There are 3 kinds of Indirect Speech :
1. Imperative (command/request)
2. Interrogative (question)
3. Declarative (Statement)

Example :
1. Imperative (command/request)
Direct   : Mrs. Rika said to Dina, “Don’t worry about it”.
Indirect : Mrs. Rika told to Dina not to worry about it.

2. Interrogative (question)
Direct   : Risa asked to Nico, “Are you a journalist?”
Indirect : Risa asked if/whether He was a journalist.

3. Declarative (statement)
Direct   : Mr. Dion said, “I worked hard yesterday”.
Indirect : Mr. Dion said that he worked hard the day before.

In command sentences, direct speech can changed to indirect speech with change “Said” to be “ordered”, “told” and “Forbade”.
Example:
Direct : Hamid said, “Open the door!”
Indirect : Hamid ordered to open the door.

Direct : Hamid said , “Dul, come here!”
Indirect : Hamid told Dul to come there.

Direct : Hamid said to Andi, “Do not disturb me”
Indirect : Hamid forbade Andi to disturb him.

No comments:

Post a Comment