Monday, April 23, 2012

14. SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE


GOING TO OR WILL

The basic future with will :
There are two basic future tenses used to describe things that happen in the future. Besides these two there are some other future tenses which can be started on the advanced future tenses page. The first future tense is the future with “will”. Use the future with will to talk about an event in the future that you have just decided to do, for predictions and for promises.

Examples :  I think I will go to that party next week.
                    The economy will get better soon.
                    Yes, I will marry you.

The basic future with going to :
             The future with “going to” is used to express events you have already planned in the future and your intentions for the future. We sometimes also use the present continuous for planned events in the near future.
Examples : She is going to attend university and study to become a doctor.
                   We are going to make the presentation next week.


Functions and example-will :

1.    We use “will”  to give or ask for information or facts about the future.
  • Her parents will be here in about an hour.
  • All his friends will come to his birthday party.
2.    We use “will” for plans or decisions made at the time of speaking.
  • “We need some papers to write some letters.” “okay, I will go and get some.”
  •  “What would you like to drink?” “I will have a glass of orange juice, please.”
3.    We use ”will” to predict the future.
  •  I think it will rain tomorrow.
  • Shimon Santoso will win the competition.
  • Do you think Indonesia will win the World Cup?
4.    We use “will” to predict the present.
  •           Don’t phone her now, she will be busy.
5.    We use “will’ to offer to do something.
  • I will take you to the airport tomorrow.
  • That suitcase looks heavy, I will carry it for you.
6.    We use “will” to agree to do something.
  •            Okay, I will come with you.
7.    We use “will” to promise to do something.
  •           I promise I will not tell  anyone you broke the window.
8.    We use “will’ to make requests (or give orders)
  •  Will you borrow me your pen?
  •  Will you take some papers for me?
  • Will you  turn off the television?
9.    We use “will” to refuse to do something or talk about refusals.
  • No, I will not buy dress for you dear.
  • I’ve asked him, but he will not do it.



Functions and examples-going to :

1.    We use ‘going to” for plans or decisions made before speaking.
  • Is John coming home soon? – yes, I’m going to meet him at the airport tomorrow.
  •  I’m going to watch TV in a minute, because my favourite programme is on.
2.    We use “going to” to predict the future based on present evidence.
  •           Look at the sky. It is going to rain soon.



IMPORTANT NOTES :

a.    When we want to talk about future facts or things we believe to be true about the future, we use “will’
  • The President will serve for four years.
  • The bos won’t be very happy.
  •  I’m sure you will like her.
  •  I’m certain he will do a good job.
b.    If we are not so certain about the future, we use “will’ with expressions such as probably, possibly, I think, I hope.
  • I hope you will visit me in my home one day.
  • She will probably be a great success.
  •  I will possibly come, but I may not get back in time.
  • I think we will get on well.
c.    If you are making a future prediction based on evidence in the present situation, use “going to”
  •  Not a cloud in the sky. It is going to be another warm day.
  •  Look at the queue. We are not going to get in for hours.
  • The traffic is terrible. We are going to miss our flight.
  • Be careful! You are going to spill your coffee.
d.    At the moment of making a decision, use “will”. Once you have made the decision, talk about it using “going to”
  • I will call Johan to let him know. Sarah, I need Johan’s number. I’m going to call him about the meeting.
  •  I will come and have a drink with you, but I must let Harry know. Harry, I’m going to have a drink with Shimon.

No comments:

Post a Comment