Monday, April 23, 2012

16. ASKING IF SOMEONE REMEMBER OR NOT

             Asking if someone remember or not is the sentence that used to ask someone about something that happened in the past. The person maybe forget that event (that happened in the past ) so we can make that person remember.  
             The purpose “Asking if someone remember or not” is to make someone remember event that happened in the past. 

  • Formal Expressions:
Ø  I wonder if you remember........
Ø  you remember .....don’t you ?
Ø  You haven’t forgotten......have you ?
Ø  Don’t you remember ....?
Ø  Do you happen to remember it now ? 

             Ways to respond
Ø let me think, yes , I remember.
Ø I remember especially the scenery.
Ø I’ll never forget that ?
Ø I’ll always remember.
Ø I’m sorry I don’t remember.

  • Informal Expression
Ø  Remember the old house we used to live in ?
Ø  Remember that ?
Ø  I’m sorry I don’t remember

             Ways to respond
Ø Hold on. Yes, got it!
Ø I know.....
Ø It’s coming back to me now. 

Respond if you forget
Ø  Sorry I’ve completely forgotten.
Ø  I’m afraid I forget.
Ø  I forget.
Ø  I really can’t remember.
Ø  I’m afraid I have no memory of him.
Ø  Emmm, let me think. No, it’s gone.
Ø  Sorry, it slipped off my mind

Example dialog:
It was Sunday morning, Tia got dressed and had break quickly. She was ready to leave for school. Her mother was a little puzzled.
             Mother : Hey.....hey.....are you doing to school ?
             Tia        : Yes, Mom. I overslept. I’m in a hurry
             Mother : You remember Sunday, don’t you ?
             Tia        : Oh, my goodness. I thought it’s a school day !

No comments:

Post a Comment